EMDR Intensive Program
For those highly motivated individuals who have the ability to dedicate a larger block of time to processing distressing events,an EMDR intensive maybe a better option for you. All EMDR intensive sessions are face to face sessions. *At this time we do not offer telehealth EMDR intensives.
Our Intensive EMDR Programs are ideal for clients who want to expedite their treatment results. You are given exclusive access to appointments reserved for the intensive program, and you will typically be able to get started within a few weeks, drastically reducing the initial wait time in getting started. With multiple sessions compacted into one day you reduce the amount of time spent opening and closing each session and therefore increase the amount of progress you can make. By having a dedicated chunk of time devoted to treatment at one time, you increase the percentage of session time spent addressing the memories and symptoms that brought you to treatment.
Who would benefit from an EMDR intensive?
• Perhaps you’ve had a sense that something profound has yet to change, but you’re not quite sure how to shift all the way into a new experience of yourself with your current therapist. Maybe you now cognitively understand new things, yet your body is still confused, so you’re curious about how intensive EMDR therapy can help as you work with your primary talk therapist.
• Perhaps you’ve been meaning to get into weekly therapy for a while now, but your schedule has been so hectic and demanding that a weekly therapy appointment feels more overwhelming than supportive.
• Perhaps you’re needing help —- and a lot of it—- right now, and you don’t want to spend months in the traditional weekly model of therapy treatment to feel better.
• Perhaps you are a current, weekly client who is needing extra, focused support quickly.
• Perhaps you are a new client who just prefers to work intensively.
What to expect in the EMDR Intensive Programs
An EMDR Intensive consists of three parts: An Assessment Appointment, an Intensive Processing Session, and a Follow up Appointment.
- The Intensive Program begins with a 2 hour Assessment Appointment 1 week prior to the Intensive Processing Session. This appointment time is used to assess for candidacy in the Intensive Program, discuss the concerns bringing you to treatment, address your questions and identify the negative belief systems that have reinforced the old patterns of thinking and feeling.This session is 1 week prior to allow you the opportunity to complete the treatment workbook needed for Intensive Processing Session.
- Intensive Processing Sessions are available on Thursdays or Fridays. The half-day appointment is from 8:00am-12:00pm. Your Intensive Processing Session begins by developing resources to increase your sense of calm, security, and control, allowing you to more confidently examine your trauma. The initial 45-60 minutes will be spent creating these resources to support you both in and following your Intensive Treatment Program. Reprocessing the trauma with EMDR will last for 2.5 to 3 hours in the half-day format,with breaks for self-care as needed. The remaining 15-30 minutes are spent closing the session and assessing for additional needs.
- The Intensive Program concludes with a 90 minute follow up appointment the week after your processing session. Additional EMDR therapy appointments may be necessary to achieve your treatment goals. Note: additional sessions beyond the Follow-up Appointment are not included in the Intensive Program fee; recommendations are individualized based on your specific needs. In complex cases, especially with multiple traumatic events, additional intensive work will be recommended.
The EMDR Half-Day Intensive Program Fee
includes 7.5 hours of individualized treatment, assessment, and treatment workbook.
*Note: 50% is due at the time of scheduling the appointment and the remainder is due at the time of your first appointment. Insurance is not accepted for EMDR intensives.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be made at least 48 hours prior to your appointment. Because Intensive appointments are reserved exclusively for you, and require a large amount of time, we are not able to fill them on a last-minute basis. Therefore, our policy is to charge $ 100 per hour of your scheduled time that is canceled less than 48 hours prior to your appointment time. Please keep in mind that each of your appointments are scheduled between 2 and 4 hours. No call/no shows and last minute cancellations (less than 24 hours notice) will forfeit the full session fee.
Contact us to schedule your free 15 minute consult with Dr.Hughey to discuss your needs and if an EMDR intensive program maybe right for you.
RESEARCH ON INTENSIVE EMDR THERAPY IS POSITIVE
- Intensive application of trauma-focused therapy seems to be well tolerated in patients with PTSD, enabling faster symptom reduction with similar, or even better, results, while reducing the risk that patients drop out prematurely. Learn more HERE.
- Intensive EMDR treatment is feasible and is indicative of reliable improvement in PTSD symptoms in a very short time frame. Learn more HERE.
- An intensive program using EMDR therapy is a potentially safe and effective treatment alternative for complex PTSD. Learn more HERE.